Earlier in the day on Monday, the head of European diplomacy Josep Borrell called for a ceasefire in the country “to allow for mediation”.
The EU ambassador to Sudan was “attacked” at his home, European diplomacy chief Josep Borrell announced on Monday evening April 17 as Khartoum is in the throes of fierce fighting amid a struggle for the power of the two “A few hours ago the EU ambassador to Sudan was attacked in his residence,” tweeted Josep Borrell.
Denouncing “a flagrant violation” of the Vienna Convention, he recalled that the Sudanese authorities had the responsibility to ensure the security of diplomatic installations and diplomats present in their country. The EU ambassador, Irish Aidan O’Hara, is “OK”, Nabila Massrali, spokesperson for the EU diplomatic service, told AFP, adding that the EU delegation is not had not been evacuated. “The safety of our staff is our priority,” she stressed.
Call For a Ceasefire
Earlier in the day, Josep Borrell called for a ceasefire in the country “to allow for mediation”. “The EU is working to persuade both sides of the need for a humanitarian pause and to encourage dialogue,” he added. According to the UN, more than 185 people have been killed and 1,800 injured in the past three days during the fighting. “The situation is very changing. It is difficult to assess in which direction the balance is changing,” said the head of the UN mission in Sudan, Volker Perthes, from Khartoum.
The conflict had been latent for weeks between the head of the army, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhane, de facto leader of the country, and his number two, General Mohamed Hamdane Daglo, known as “Hemedti”, at the head of the Forces rapid support (FSR), who together ousted civilians from power during the October 2021 putsch.
This article is originally published on lefigaro.fr